Our story starts in Philadelphia in the 1940s. Alcoholics Anonymous had recently entered the public eye and there was hope for the first time, of a real solution for alcoholism and addiction.
Enter Dr. C Dudley Saul, a local Philadelphia doctor who became convinced that AA could change the world. He began working tirelessly to help them succeed. In fact, Dr. Saul was instrumental in starting and growing Philadelphia’s first AA group.
After helping Alcoholics Anonymous establish a foothold in Philadelphia, Dr. Saul went on to help found the C. Dudley Saul Clinic in 1946, the first private alcoholism treatment center in the country. This was the birth of what would become known as The Malvern Institute.
Malvern’s Growth & Expansion
After settling into the town of Malvern, the institute continued to grow providing consistently excellent care for those suffering from all forms of chemical dependency.
In the 1980s, we expanded our King Road campus and doubled our treatment space focusing on providing the most innovative and effective substance abuse care in the country.
Malvern has grown to include three residential Detox and Treatment facilities in Malvern, Willow Grove and the Lehigh Valley. Malvern also has outpatient facilities in Bethlehem, Berwyn, East Falls, Malvern, Pottstown, Trevose and Cherry Hill.